Caliente Beef Spicy Tacos
The layers of heat keep coming in this spicy beef taco. Old El Paso™ Stand ‘n Stuff™ bold spicy taco shells get stuffed with habanero-seasoned beef, habanero-spiked avocado crema, pepper Jack cheese and fresh slices of serrano chiles. Your taste buds will be happy.
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 medium habanero chile, seeded, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 package (1 oz.) Old El Paso™ original taco seasoning mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 Old El Paso™ Stand 'N Stuff™ bold spicy taco shells
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced serrano chiles
Calories 260 (Calories from Fat160), Total Fat17g, (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 410mg, Total Carbohydrate 13g, (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 1g), Protein 12g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 10%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 1
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef with 2 teaspoons of the habanero chile over medium heat 8 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix and water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat, and simmer uncovered 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Meanwhile, make avocado cream. In blender or small food processor, place avocado, sour cream, remaining 1 teaspoon habanero chile, 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, the lime juice and salt. Cover and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Heat shells as directed on package. Divide beef mixture among shells; top with cheese, avocado cream, tomatoes, remaining 3 tablespoons cilantro and the serrano chiles.
- To dice the avocado, cut in half and remove pit. Using large spoon, scoop flesh from skin. Place one half avocado cut side down on cutting board. Make two horizontal cuts to make three planks, then cut lengthwise into strips. Turn 90 degrees, and cut again. Repeat with other half of avocado.
- A simple way to spread the cream topping is to spoon it into a resealable food-storage plastic bag, cut off one corner, and squeeze a zigzag on top of each taco.