Chocolate-Toffee Thumbprint Cookies
These chocolate cookies have a festive burst of Christmas sprinkles on top, but they’re even more than meets the eye! HERSHEY’S cocoa and HEATH milk chocolate toffee bits get folded into Betty Crocker™ sugar cookie mix for a tender, chocolaty dough that’s studded with bursts of crunchy, buttery toffee. And where traditional thumbprints get a filling of jam in the middle, these indulgent treats get a dollop of silky chocolate ganache, easily made with HERSHEY’S milk chocolate chips, butter and cream. They’ll spruce up any cookie tray, but it’s the taste and texture that’ll have your guests raving.
- 1 pouch (17.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ sugar cookie mix
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S natural cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup HEATH milk chocolate toffee bits (from 8-oz bag)
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S milk chocolate chips (from 11.5-oz bag)
- 1 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons Betty Crocker™ Decorating Decors Jingle Mix nonpareils (from 2.1-oz container)
1 Cookie Calories 100 (Calories from Fat 50); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 75mg; Potassium 20mg, Total Carbohydrate 13g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 9g); Protein 0g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 2%
Exchanges: 0 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat;
- Heat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, mix cookie mix, cocoa, softened butter, water and egg with spoon until soft dough forms. Stir in toffee bits.
- Shape dough into 48 (1 1/4-inch) balls. Place balls 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are set. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Using back of round metal measuring 1/2 teaspoon, make 1-inch circle indentation in center of each cookie, wiping spoon occasionally to reduce sticking. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave Filling ingredients uncovered on High 30 seconds; stir. Continue to microwave in 10-second increments until chips are melted and mixture can be stirred smooth. Spoon 1/2 teaspoonful of the filling into indentation in each cookie. Top with nonpareils. Let stand about 2 hours or until filling is set. Store covered in refrigerator.
- To avoid overbaking, bake just until edges set on cookie.
- Don’t have a round measuring 1/2 teaspoon? Use end of wooden spoon to make 1-inch indentation.
- For best results, bake cookies on the middle oven rack. For even baking, it’s best to bake one sheet at a time.
- Line cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper for easier cleanup.