Christmas Surprise Sugar Cookies
Easy cookie mix jump-starts holiday cookie baking. Surprise family and friends with these sweet treasures.
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ sugar cookie mix
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- Red and green food colors
- 16 thin rectangular crème de menthe candies, cut into thirds
- Assorted Betty Crocker™ colored sprinkles, sugars, decors and decorating gels
1 Cookie: Calories 70 (Calories from Fat 30); Total Fat 3½g (Saturated Fat 1½g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 35mg; Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 6g); Protein 0g
% Daily Value*:Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0%
Exchanges: 0 Starch, 0 Fruit, ½ Other Carbohydrate, 0 Skim Milk, 0 Low-Fat Milk, 0 Milk, 0 Vegetable, 0 Very Lean Meat, 0 Lean Meat, 0 High-Fat Meat, 1 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: ½
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Heat oven to 375 °F. In medium bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, egg and flour until dough forms. Divide dough into thirds. Tint one-third red and one-third green with food colors; leave one-third plain. Keep dough covered tightly until ready to use.
- On floured surface, roll each third of dough until 1/8 inch thick. For round cookies, cut with 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter; for square cookies, cut into 1 1/2-inch squares using sharp knife. (Dip cutter or knife in flour for easier cutting.)
- On ungreased cookie sheet, place half the cookies 1 inch apart. Place 1 candy piece on center of each cookie; top with another cookie. Gently press edges together to seal, using tines of fork. To decorate before baking, sprinkle cookies with colored sprinkles, sugars or decors as desired.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Decorate with gels as desired.
- Instead of the crème de menthe candies, use one of the following in each cookie: Piece of a milk chocolate candy bar (1.55 ounces), separated into small rectangles, each cut into thirds (larger baking or candy bars will be too thick) Small round chocolate-covered creamy mint 1/4 teaspoon toffee bits.