Classic Christmas Sugar Cookie Cutouts
These pretty sugar cookies are a classic addition to the holiday cookie tray. They make great decorations, too!
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Betty Crocker™ Decor Selects candy sprinkles, nonpareils or colored sugars, if desired
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
1 Serving: Calories 65 (Calories from Fat 25); Total Fat 3g; (Saturated Fat 2g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 40mg; Potassium 10mg; Total Carbohydrate 9g; (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 1g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0%
Exchanges: ½ Starch; ½ Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- In large bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, the butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, almond extract and egg until well blended. Stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Divide dough in half. On lightly floured, cloth covered surface, roll each half of dough 3/16 inch thick. Cut into assorted shapes with cookie cutters, or cut around patterns traced from storybook illustrations. If cookies are to be hung as decorations, make a hole in each 1/4 inch from top with end of plastic straw. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until light brown. Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl, beat all frosting ingredients until smooth and spreadable. Tint with food color if desired. Frost and decorate cookies as desired with frosting and colored sugars.
- For melt-in-your-mouth treats, be sure to mix cookies just enough—but not too much. Too much mixing can result in tough cookies.
- Skip the decorator frosting and use part of a container of ready-to-spread frosting instead. The frosting layer will be a bit thicker this way, but it will be equally delicious!