Firecracker Shrimp Tacos
Firecracker Shrimp Tacos are a fun twist on a traditional taco. The crunch of the crispy shrimp with the cabbage combined with tangy queso fresco & sweet chili sauce is sure to light up your next taco night!
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, shelled & deveined
- 2 cups panko
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 12-count package Old El Paso™ Crunchy Taco Shells
- 1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- sweet chili sauce
- queso fresco
- fresh cilantro
- Shrimp Preheat oven to 475°F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, and pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat egg whites with 2 tablespoons cold water. Place panko in a third shallow bowl. Toss shrimp in flour to coat, shaking off excess. Dip shrimp in egg whites, shake off excess, then toss in panko, shaking off excess. Place about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated 475°F oven until shrimp are opaque, about 10 to 15 minutes (depending on size of shrimp) turning shrimp over halfway through cooking time.
- Assembly: Mix together shredded cabbage and carrot. In a taco shell, layer cabbage mixture, shrimp, cheese, sweet chili sauce, and cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Toss the shrimp, flour, salt & pepper in a resealable bag to coat.
- Small shrimp cook faster than larger shrimp, so make sure to keep an eye on them as to not overbake.
- To save prep time, start with a bag of coleslaw mix instead of shredding your own cabbage and carrots.
- If you can’t find queso fresco, try casero or even feta cheese.
- Use a mix of crunchy taco shells and flour tortillas.