Fresh Chicken Fajitas
These fresh chicken fajitas get classic fajita flavor from Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix, bell peppers, onions and are topped with sliced avocado and a fresh cilantro-lime sour cream.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium red, yellow or green bell peppers, cut into thin strips (about 2 cups)
- 1½ cups thinly sliced onions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ original taco seasoning mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 package (8.2 oz) Old El Paso™ flour tortillas for tacos & fajitas (6 inch)
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup grated Cotija cheese
1 Fajita: Calories 260 (Calories from Fat 130); Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 520mg; Total Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g); Protein 13g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 8%; Iron 8%;
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Vegetable, 1 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 2 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 1
- In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onions and salt; cook 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Transfer to small bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat; heat remaining tablespoon of oil. Add chicken; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until no longer pink in center. Add taco seasoning mix and water; stir. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix sour cream, 1 tablespoon of the cilantro and the lime juice.
- Heat tortillas as directed on package. To assemble, divide chicken, onions and bell peppers among tortillas. Top each fajita with avocado, a rounded tablespoon of sour cream mixture, remaining tablespoon of cilantro and cheese.
- To slice the avocado, cut in half, and remove pit. Using large spoon, scoop flesh from skin. Place one half avocado cut side down on cutting board. Slice into strips. Repeat with other half of avocado.
- Want more lime flavor? Finely grate 1/2 teaspoon of the lime zest into the sour cream mixture.
- Dos Equis™ lager especial beer is the perfect choice to pair with these fajitas!