Peanut Butter Cookie Truffles
Truffles won’t be intimidating any longer after making these delightful little chocolate candies. The secret ingredient? Peanut butter cookies!
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ peanut butter cookie mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg called for on cookie mix package
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ¼ cup finely chopped cocktail peanuts
Serving Size: 1 Truffle
1 Serving: Calories 130 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 7g; (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 80mg; Potassium 60mg; Total Carbohydrate 13g; (Dietary Fiber 0g); Sugars 9g; Protein 2g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 2%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2 Fat;
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Make cookies as directed on pouch. Cool completely, at least 15 minutes.
- In food processor, process half of the cookies to fine crumbs. Remove and set aside; process remaining cookies to fine crumbs. Combine all of cookie crumb mixture in food processor. Add cream cheese and peanut butter. Process until well combined and can be pressed into a ball, 1 to 2 minutes. Shape into 48 (1 1/4-inch) balls; place on cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- In medium bowl, microwave chocolate chips and shortening uncovered on High 60 to 90 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Using 2 forks, dip and roll chilled cookie balls, one at a time, into melted chocolate. Return to lined cookie sheet; immediately sprinkle top of each with chopped peanuts. If chocolate has cooled too much, reheat. Refrigerate truffles about 10 minutes or until coating is set. Store covered in refrigerator.
- For even easier dipping, take two plastic forks, cut out center two tines, and use to dip into melted chocolate.
- To make ahead, freeze truffles in airtight containers with waxed paper between layers.
- No food processor? Follow step 1 as written. Then place half of the cookies in 1-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag. Seal bag; crush cookies with rolling pin to small crumbs, breaking up larger pieces with hands if necessary. Place crumbs in large bowl. Repeat to crush remaining cookies; add to crumbs in large bowl. Add cream cheese and peanut butter. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is well combined, starts to come together and can be formed into balls. Continue as directed in recipe.
- If using 20% more cookie mix, add 2 tablespoons water to cookie mix, oil and egg.