Pizza Pasta Bake
Don’t call for takeout pizza tonight. In just 30 minutes, you can create this cheesy, crave-able dish, made with just a few simple ingredients.
- 1 package (16 oz) penne pasta
- 3 links sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 can (15 oz) Muir Glen™ organic pizza sauce
- 1 can (6 oz) pitted ripe olives, drained, sliced
- 1 can (4 oz) mushrooms pieces and stems, drained
- 1 large bunch fresh basil, stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni
1 Serving Calories 550 (Calories from Fat 200); Total Fat 22g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 1300mg; Total Carbohydrate 60g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 6g); Protein 26g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 35%; Iron 25%;
Exchanges: 3 Starch, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Vegetable, 1 Medium-Fat Meat, 1 High-Fat Meat, 1 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 4
To make this dish more “figure-friendly,” use Italian turkey sausage and turkey pepperoni. Give this casserole a spicy kick by adding 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to the pizza sauce before mixing it with the pasta.
- Heat oven to 450°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package, using minimum cook time.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, cook sausage, bell pepper and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In baking dish, mix pasta and pizza sauce. Add sausage-vegetable mixture, olives, mushrooms and basil; toss until well combined. Sprinkle with cheeses; top with pepperoni.
- Bake uncovered 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.