Roasted Vegetable Pasta Bake
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 container (8-oz) crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 box (12 oz) penne pasta
- 1/4 cup butter plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/3 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained
- 1 can (19 oz) Progresso™ chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag (8 oz) shredded Italian cheese blend (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup Progresso™ Italian style bread crumbs
- Pam® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
1 Serving: Calories 520 (Calories from Fat 230); Total Fat 25g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 0.5g); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 920mg; Total Carbohydrate 55g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 8g); Protein 17g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 50%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 30%; Iron 15%
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 2 Vegetable, 1 High-Fat Meat, 3 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 3 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Heat oven to 450°F. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with foil; lightly spray with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the olive oil until well blended. Spoon in single layer in pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, stirring halfway through, until vegetables are tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven or stockpot, cook pasta as directed on package; drain. Return pasta to Dutch oven. In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of the butter over medium heat. Add flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper flakes; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until smooth and creamy. Gradually stir in milk; cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened.
- Reduce oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. Stir roasted vegetables, sauce, kale, tomatoes and chick peas into pasta until well blended. Spoon half of the pasta mixture into 13x9-inch baking dish; sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of the cheese. Repeat with remaining pasta mixture and remaining 1 cup cheese.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave remaining 2 tablespoons butter uncovered on High about 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in bread crumbs until well blended. Sprinkle evenly onto pasta mixture. Cover; bake 30 to 35 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Uncover; bake 5 to 8 minutes or until bread crumbs are light golden brown.
- For a flavor twist roast 6 cups unpeeled 1-inch cubed eggplant with the other vegetables in this delicious pasta bake.
- Substitute any of your favorite fresh mushrooms for the crimini mushrooms.