Southern Fried Chicken Taco Boats
This classic chicken dish gets an Old El PasoTM twist! Try fried chicken with a crispy buttermilk breading, in your favorite soft flour tortilla Taco BoatsTM
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups coleslaw mix (from 14-oz bag)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ¾ cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons Montreal chicken grill seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ lb boneless skinless chicken tenders, not breaded, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 package Old El PasoTM Taco BoatsTM soft flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- Hot sauce, if desired
1 Serving: Calories 550 (Calories from Fat 260); Total Fat 29g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 75mg; Sodium 1120mg; Total Carbohydrate 40g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g); Protein 33g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 20%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 0 Fruit, 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 0 Skim Milk, 0 Low-Fat Milk, 0 Milk, 0 Vegetable, 4 Very Lean Meat, 0 Lean Meat, 1/2 High-Fat Meat, 4 1/2 Fat,
Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- In medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, cider vinegar, hot sauce, ground mustard and ½ teaspoon salt. Add coleslaw mix; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
- In deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat at least 2 inches oil to 250°F.
- In shallow dish, mix flour, cornmeal, grill seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Pour buttermilk into another shallow dish. Coat chicken with flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip into buttermilk, allowing excess to drip back into dish. Coat again with flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Fry chicken in batches in preheated oil 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink in center and coating is golden brown. Drain on paper towel-lined cookie sheet. Keep warm while frying remaining chicken.
- Heat boats as directed on package. Fill each warmed boat with 2 to 3 chicken pieces, 3 tablespoons coleslaw and 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Top with hot sauce.
- Using a candy thermometer/deep frying thermometer helps to ensure correct temperature when frying to give best results. Self-rising flour is an all-purpose flour that has baking powder and salt added. This makes a crispy, light breading for the chicken.