Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
A heart healthy recipe for stuffed peppers filled with brown rice, vegetables and cheese for a Mexican flavor influence.
- 2 large green or red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies-No Salt Added, drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen Southwest mixed vegetables (corn, black beans, red peppers)
- 1 can (8 oz each) Hunt's® Tomato Sauce, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
1 Serving (1/2 stuffed Pepper): Calories 183; Total Fat 4g (Saturated Fat 2g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 603mg; Total Carbohydrate 30g, Sugar 8g, (Dietary Fiber 7g); Protein 7g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 22%; Vitamin C 152%; Calcium 11%; Iron 9%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Spray 8x8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cut bell peppers lengthwise through stem into halves. Remove and discard seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut-side down, in dish. Bake 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions, adding cumin and garlic salt. Add drained tomatoes, mixed vegetables and half of tomato sauce to cooked rice; stir to combine. Divide rice mixture and place inside peppers. Top with remaining tomato sauce; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil. Bake 20 minutes or until peppers are hot and cheese melts